Wednesday 11 December 2013

Culmination- 2013

It is with bitter-sweet feelings that I have to call Asian Institute of Technology (AIT)’s 120th graduation ceremony a culmination of many things. Bitter, because this is the day when we will see many of our friends for probably the last time. Many of them, I am sure, will cross my part of the world one day, but then, there are so many I may not even manage to keep in touch. Sweet, because, like everyone else here, we will be together with families and loved ones once more. It was nice to see the insides of a classroom after about a decade or so; it was a nice break from the daily grind of a regular job, but it was not easy to be away from the loves of your life. Sweet, because the ceremony also falls on the 106th national day of my country.

Well, it’s over for now. As they say, till death, education continues. I am sure some of us may meet at a different part of the world, still in the quest of further knowledge. See you there!

What did I learn? That’s obviously the next question.

Indeed, I did learn a few things. We have a phrase that is occasionally used by the learned to label the ignoramuses in my country:  “Jhing gi boep”. It means a “frog in a pond”, who thinks the pond is the whole universe. This stint at AIT at least took me out of the pond. It made me shed my blinkers, and showed me the whole panorama of life!

It also taught me that there are a lot more things to learn, and everyone is interested in knowledge. That everyone likes to live in harmony with the other person, everyone has the same feelings, and everyone misses someone dear somewhere. The last part was really very subtle- it showed in only the small involuntary things that people did, but the message was there.

I would guess that, for most of us, what we learnt outside the classrooms and lecture theatres was far more significant than what we did inside them.

Best of all was the diversity of life here. That teaches you things, doesn’t it. The culture, the resemblance of cultures, and humaneness. The love we shared. I am sure God created everyone the same; hence the similarities within the differences. This is something I will cherish all my life.  

But as someone has written, life has to go on, and living has to be made.

So, off we go. Back to our desks. Back to routine. To try and apply, where possible, what we have learnt here.  Let us work hard, discipline ourselves, and move ahead in life. And never stop learning- the world is the biggest classroom, and experience the best teacher!

To all my new (and old) friends: Let me bid you farewell for now. We’ll meet again. Somewhere, some place. I know we will. Keep in touch, and see you there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment